#HB5VirtualVoyage: My Ocean Story

Fassung auf Deutsch unten – version en français en-bas – versión en español más abajo – versão em português mais abaixo

I am a marine scientist and I have been working for over a decade at the science-policy interface to help decision-makers take better informed decisions about ocean conservation. Today, as part of the #HB5VirtualVoyage, I would like to share with you my Ocean Story:

 Picture © Kathleen Friedrich

I grew up in Switzerland, a landlocked country situated in the middle of mainland Europe so becoming a marine scientist was not really something that was on the cards. When I was 11 years old, I saw fin whales for the first time. We were on a small zodiac, the whales were a couple of hundreds of metres away, and all I could see was their dorsal fins. But I was hooked. This is the moment I fell in love with the ocean and I knew right there and then that I wanted to become a marine scientist. As you can imagine, my entourage was completely taken aback by my newly found passion. Nobody believed it would last. Decades later, here I am: A Swiss marine scientist working towards ensuring a better protection for our ocean.

This passion for the ocean led me to study marine environmental sciences at the university in Germany, and to undertake several internships where I was either in the field studying marine mammals or in the office doing data modelling and analyses. Natural sciences were not subject areas that I was naturally good at during my school years – languages were my preferred school subjects. But this drive to become a marine scientist made me take up this challenge.

With my degree in hand, I started working for an intergovernmental organisation headquartered in Switzerland, where I discovered the lack of protection afforded to the high seas – this is a term used to refer to the 64% of the ocean that do not belong to any country. And yet, less than 1% of the high seas is currently protected. While working for this intergovernmental organisation, I worked alongside scientists from all around the world and stepped for the first time into the policy field. I also had the opportunity to travel to various meetings organised by the United Nations and to contribute expertise to international policy processes. This experience taught me that science in itself is not enough: working together and bringing scientific information directly into the hands of decision-makers is what contributes to creating change. This motivated me to do a PhD in international environmental law at the university in Australia to better understand how to help decision-makers take better informed decisions about ocean management and conservation.

I now continue working at the science-policy interface, coordinating an international project at a research institute in Germany, and contributing expertise to international policy processes, particularly the ongoing global negotiations for a high seas treaty under the United Nations.

Outside of my stubborn determination to become a marine scientist no-matter-what-people-said-or-thought and to contribute towards positive change for the marine environment, I have been very lucky to be surrounded by people who believe in me and encourage me to pursue my passion. It started with my very supportive family, but also the many experts in the field that I have been lucky to meet over the years and who have shared their knowledge and given me opportunities to learn and grow in this field.

And you, what is your STEMM story? Join our #HB5VirtualVoyage on all social media platforms between 10 November and 3 December 2020 – we would love to hear from you!

About me:

Check out the Storytellers of STEMM podcast episode where I talk about my Ocean Story: https://anchor.fm/storytellersofSTEMM/episodes/52---Carole-Durussel-Marine-Policy-and-Ocean-Governance-ej9nva/a-a369ihd

You can follow me on Twitter: @caroledurussel

You can also contribute to my crowdfunding campaign: https://chuffed.org/project/caroles-leadership-journey-to-antarctica

--- 

Fassung auf Deutsch: https://caroletoantarctica.blogspot.com/2020/12/hb5virtualvoyage-meine-meeresgeschichte.html

Version en français: https://caroletoantarctica.blogspot.com/2020/12/hb5virtualvoyage-mon-histoire-marine.html

Versión en español: https://caroletoantarctica.blogspot.com/2020/12/hb5virtualvoyage-mi-historia-marina.html

Versão em português: https://caroletoantarctica.blogspot.com/2020/12/hb5virtualvoyage-minha-historia-marinha.html


Homeward Bound (HB) is a global leadership program for women in STEMM set against the backdrop of Antarctica, enabling 1000 women over 10 years to ensure greater diversity at the leadership table. Team HB5 invites you to join our virtual voyage as we share our inspiring STEMM stories, leadership journeys and perspectives to help increase diversity in STEMM for tackling today’s challenges. For more information, visit: https://homewardboundprojects.com.au/HB5virtualvoyage